Teetering on the Brink

Need any help using RememBird, the application or any add-ons?

Teetering on the Brink

Postby nthompson on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:24 pm

My son has offered to buy me a bird song recorder for xmas and I am thinking of buying Remembird. The alternative is the Olympus LS-10. Everybody on this list must have been in my shoes at one point, so here are some questions. Oh, I am anticipating putting the remembird to two uses: First, and foremost, to record crow and raven caw sequences in Santa Fe New Mexico. The secondary use, is to record musical "parts" of choral pieces that I am having to learn.

(1) My anticipated uses call for recording lower frequencies than most birders, I gather. I am not a warbler guy. Will Remembird handle these?

(2) A big lure of Remembird is the software that comes along with it that simplifies organizing song files. (or Croak and caw files, in my case). Entropy is a big feature of retirement life, so this is important to me. But is it that much of a gain? What about working with the olympus song files. How do you folks who handle song files do it.

(3) Remembird's evaluation policy seems very stringent. I am sympathetic to the position of a small business owner selling stuff allover the world but I need to be able to get the device out of the box, assemble it, put it through its paces, etc., and 14 days, particularly in a fraught holiday season and with mail delays, does not seem long enough to evaluate the device properly. Also, the policy seems to suggest that one should barely do more with the device than make sure that all the stuff is in the box. The forum suggests that The Inventor is a flexible guy, but 200 dollars is not a small amount of money in my world, so I need to be sure that the device will actual do FOR ME what I need it to do.

(4) Shipping policy seems to suggest that they will only send it to the address on the credit card. Doesn't work for gifts, does it?

(5) Is the device not sold anywhere in the US? If not, I could walk it into Wild Birds Unlimited, when, as, and if, I buy one.

(6) Is there anybody listening who could take a moment to describe to me the procedure you follow making use of Remembird to do systematic fieldwork? "I hear the bird, I press the button, when I am sure the bird is done, I release the button..... when I get home I make myself a cup of tea and then I ..... etc. " I know this sounds dumb, but trust me. It would be helpful.

(7) not sure how spoken notes are synchronized with recordings. Obviously there is no voice recogniition, so labels in the organizer, etc, must be provided after the fact int he computer.

thanks to you all for any help you can give me.

Nick Thompson
nthompson

Re: Teetering on the Brink

Postby cblair on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:38 am

Hi Nick,

The fourteen day from receipt policy has worked fine for us for 8 years. On a couple of occasions (like last week) someone wanted to buy one for Christmas and asked about it. We sent her an email confirming that we'd be glad to exchange any time in January - and she bought one. The other conditions are just to make sure that it's still sellable - which in the case of a RememBird is pretty much anything bar having driven over it. We've never turned anyone down who changed their mind.

Having said that, RememBird is unashamedly a birding tool and only a birding tool. If you're planning to use it for music recording as well, there's no question. You should not be buying RememBird. In fact, for birding, it's designed as an ad-hoc recording device - that doesn't get in the way of your birding but lets you catch the unexpected before you even think about getting the other recorder out of your pocket and rattle off a description whilst keeping your eye on the warbler. If you're planning to do serious bird-sound studies, you'd be better off with higher end kit too.

Best regards and have a great Christmas
The flexible inventor.
Chris B (the inventor)
cblair
Site Admin

Postby nthompson on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:04 am

Thanks, Chris,

I appreciate your comments. I should be able to do an evaluation by mid January, no problem.

Could you take a few more moments to focus on two of my other questions. For instance, Ravens and Crows do make sounds much more like primate vocalizations than like those of warblers, etc. And our C brachyrynchos is somewhat lower pitched than your C. corone. Will Remembird handle those frequencies? AND: how does Remembird keep track of the relation between the simultaneous voice recording and the bird sound it;s related to. For instance, can one review both the bird and the commentary, using stereo earphones, after the fact?

I promise these questions aren't endless.

Nick

PS Do you know about Wild Birds Unlimited in the USA

cblair wrote:Hi Nick,
The fourteen day from receipt policy has worked fine for us for 8 years. On a couple of occasions (like last week) someone wanted to buy one for Christmas and asked about it. We sent her an email confirming that we'd be glad to exchange any time in January - and she bought one. The other conditions are just to make sure that it's still sellable - which in the case of a RememBird is pretty much anything bar having driven over it. We've never turned anyone down who changed their mind.

Having said that, RememBird is unashamedly a birding tool and only a birding tool. If you're planning to use it for music recording as well, there's no question. You should not be buying RememBird. In fact, for birding, it's designed as an ad-hoc recording device - that doesn't get in the way of your birding but lets you catch the unexpected before you even think about getting the other recorder out of your pocket and rattle off a description whilst keeping your eye on the warbler. If you're planning to do serious bird-sound studies, you'd be better off with higher end kit too.

Best regards and have a great Christmas
The flexible inventor.
nthompson

Postby cblair on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:13 am

Hi NIck,

Low frequencies are not a problem - though you'd probably want to turn the wind filter off as that deliberately cuts low frequencies to reduce wind rumble.

All recordings are time-stamped. Have a browse around the Products > Software section to see how these are shown.
http://www.remembird.com/products_software.html

Cheers
Chris B (the inventor)
cblair
Site Admin

Postby Birdfreak on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:05 am

Hope you got your xmas present, personally I would never go back to another recorder my Remembird has been very useful 12 months of the year in all weathers! cant say that with other recorders maybe except one?

Let us know if you did or did not make the move over to this handy little tool
;)
Birdfreak

Return to Support