Removing RememBird

Need any help using RememBird, the application or any add-ons?

Removing RememBird

Postby DaveCurtis on Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:54 pm

I have installed Remembird on my PC running XP with no problems.

When I frst uploaded Remembird on my Samsung X120 laptop running Windows 7 it created the expected Remembird folder in Users/Dave/ but also a Remembird folder in the Contacts folder. This second folder was where the backup files went. I could not delete this folder so settled for renaming it. Although Remembird seemed to work it was not not satisfactory having a file structure that did not make any sense.

I uninstalled Remembird today and then re-installed it. The installation stopped with a message that the Remembird folder already existed in Programs/. I clicked for the installation to use this folder. Now the program created a Remembird folder inside another unrelated folder already in the Downloads folder. I tried deleting this folder but it re-appears when I open Remembird. I renamed the folder and it remained and a new Remembird folder was created.

I tried to unistall again and remove all the files linked to Remembird but the one in Programs/ will not let me delete it. Another install also left me with the wierd file structure with a Remembird file I can't move from or delete in an unrelated folder in the download folder.

How do I remove ALL the Remembird files to give myself a clear shot at a proper installation.
DaveCurtis

Re: Removing RememBird

Postby cblair on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:00 pm

Hi Dave,

First question would be... which version of RememBird software are you installing?

Windows Vista and 7 automatically redirect attempts to write to certain folders (such as Program Files) but make it look like the files are there when the program looks for them.

The RememBird folder in your Contacts folder, though, I think you may have created by accident. Did you try to do a backup of the RememBird database? If so, did you choose a particular folder? I suspect that's been created in the default folder you were presented with?
Chris B (the inventor)
cblair
Site Admin

Postby DaveCurtis on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi Chris,

Not sure of the version on my Remembird but it updated to 4_0_20. Presumably it is the original version shipped with the first Remembird II.

Dave
DaveCurtis

Postby cblair on Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:26 am

Hi Dave,
Sorry for the delay. For some reason I didn't get notified of your post.
Feel free to email support@remembird.com if we don't respond to your posts within 24 hours.

Which version of Windows are you on?
The locations of the files change quite a bit between XP, Vista and 7.

The presence of existing files/folders doesn't normally give the installer any problems - as it's designed to handle upgrades as well.
Chris B (the inventor)
cblair
Site Admin

Postby DaveCurtis on Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:11 pm

Hi Chris,

I'm using Windows 7 Home premium.

Today I uninstalled Remembird then searched for every folder/file associated with the program and deleted it. I restarted the machine and checked that the removed folders had gone.

I installed the original program from my Remembird II. I accepted the default location for the set-up just as before.

The Remembird folder has re-appeared in Downloads/Camera_Raw_5.6/ but nothing in my user folder!! This download was to allow me to view RAW files.

Dave
DaveCurtis

Postby cblair on Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:05 pm

Hi Dave,

Can you email me a screenshot of the folder you are concerned about.
Click on the window showing the files.
Hold the "Alt" key and press "PrtScn". This puts a bitmap of the window onto the clipboard.

Open a new email and try "Paste".
If that doesn't work, open a new Word document and paste into that instead.

Regards
Chris B (the inventor)
cblair
Site Admin

Return to Support