"Intelligent" switch between internal and external speakers

Need any help using RememBird, the application or any add-ons?

"Intelligent" switch between internal and external speakers

Postby sonofjon on Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:24 am

How can I configure RBII to

1) play *all* sounds through the internal speaker when no external speaker is connected

and

2) play *all* sounds through the external speaker when an external speaker is connected?

I don't like the "special setting" that [quote form the manual follows] "is provided to use the internal and external speakers intelligently. In this mode, notes, recordings and any announcements in an audio field‐guide are output through the small internal speaker and only the birdsong recordings are played via the external connector".

I find that the internal speakers simply cannot be heard clearly in moderately noisy environments. What this means is, that if I want to configure RBII to work both with internal and external speakers while in the field, I simply can't navigate the audio menu if I am not in a quiet environment.
Last edited by sonofjon on Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonofjon

Re: "Intelligent" switch between internal and external speakers

Postby cblair on Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:14 pm

For the settings you want, connect RememBird to your computer and use the Preferences tool.
On the Recorder Settings tab, Settings sub-tab
Check the "Internal Speaker" box
UNCheck the "Automatically switch between internal and external speakers"

Regards
Chris B (the inventor)
cblair
Site Admin

Postby sonofjon on Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:34 pm

Thanks. I could have sworn I had tried that setting without the expected results. Tried it again now, and it works. I guess I was expecting the sound to switch over from the internal to the external speaker immediately as it is attached, and vice versa. Instead, it appears that sound does not switch over until I press a button, e.g. pause and then play again. That works too, but is less intuitive, and where is it documented? Thanks.
sonofjon

Postby cblair on Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:29 pm

Will check the manual and try to clarify. Thanks for pointing that out. We found a bug in the codec that stops us from sensing the headphone detect once we've started playing audio so we have to make the decision where to play on the basis of whether the jack is plugged in or not at the time we start playing.
Chris B (the inventor)
cblair
Site Admin

Postby Birdfreak on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:37 pm

That caught me out too, took me ages to sort it out but got there in the end :P
Birdfreak

Return to Support