Exporting "visit" to WAV

Need any help using RememBird, the application or any add-ons?

Exporting "visit" to WAV

Postby sonofjon on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:11 pm

I don't seem to be able to export to WAV files when I choose to export an entire visit (Action->Export Visit/Recording->Export visit). The exported files are MP3s. To get WAV files I have to choose the "export only selected audio" option. However, I don't seem to be able to select multiple songs in a visit, so it will be quite cumbersome to export dozens of songs from a visit to WAV, one by one. Is there a work around for this? Thanks.
sonofjon

Re: Exporting "visit" to WAV

Postby cblair on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi,

WAV files are going to be several times the size of the mp3 files and can take a while to process - so a visit with maybe an hour of recording could take 10 minutes to export if we translated them all to wav. That's why we haven't provided this "bulk" export feature with an option of "to wav".

The best course of action depends on what you want to do with them once you've exported them. If you're going to be doing it a lot, it may be better to make whatever you are doing with them capable of handling mp3 files.

If you do need lots of wav files, Audacity has a great tool for processing lots of files. It's under "File > Apply chain" and lets you automate any set of operations on any number of files.
Chris B (the inventor)
cblair
Site Admin

Postby sonofjon on Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:25 pm

Well, the primary reason for wanting WAV is that I would like to get the maximum audio quality out of my device. MP3 is a lossy compression format. Seems kind of odd that you are making this decision on behalf of the users. Why not let users decide what format they want to use? Besides, I wouldn't mind waiting, if the WAV processing is a bit slow.

I know there are tools to convert from MP3 to WAV, but first, that wont bring the audio quality back up again, and second, why would I want to bother with an unnecessary extra step. I would rather just get that WAV files one-by-one, although annoying.

Let me mention this analogy. Imagine if Nikon or Canon would design their cameras to make it really difficult to transfer the RAW images onto a computer, with the motivation that such transfer is really slow, and everybody should use the lossy JPEG format instead.

I will use the MP3 320 kbps setting, but I think you should reconsider your design, and perhaps change it in a future release.
sonofjon

Postby cblair on Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:34 pm

Hi,

The recorder stores the files in mp3 - so outputting the mp3 exactly as recorded is the highest quality we can let you have out of the system.
Changing them to wav will reduce the quality slightly. That's why we export in the "as recorded" format.

Note that "wav" is merely a file format. Within the wav file, the audio can be in any format. The header of the file describes the audio format being used. Most of the formats used within wav files are themselves lossy compression formats.
Lossless compression algorithms do not work at all well on audio files.

To follow your analogy, I have a Canon Powershot - which is a middle of the range camera not an expensive, bulky SLR - and it doesn't give me access to raw files - but it's small and convenient enough that I always have it on me.
RememBird is just such a "compact camera" of the recording world. It stores in mp3. The next tier up of recorders will give you raw 24 bit uncompressed audio - but will also eat your memory much faster and take much longer to upload. We're not trying to compete with that grade of equipment.

Regards
Chris B (the inventor)
cblair
Site Admin

Postby sonofjon on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:57 pm

OK, thanks for the information Chris. That all makes sense. I realize RB is not a professional device. I wrongly assumed that the original recording must have been in WAV format.

Just one more question. What is the bit rate of the original mp3 recording on the device? Thanks.
sonofjon

Return to Support